Saturday, February 20, 2010

Give the Bassman some!

Tonight we wandered the streets of the trendy Bella Vista area of Santiago. While meandering down a busy street we heard the sound of sweet flamenco music and gravitated towards the bar. Inside this tiny pub was the most incredible live flamenco band with 4 dancers, a fantastic drummer, a very impressive flamenco guitarist, and an absolutely amazing singer. It was, however, the bassist who provided the most fascination.

At first I was very confused as to why the bassist was playing so loudly and with such a distinct Jazz Fusion sound that almost competed with the classical flamenco sound. For several songs I merely found it intriguing and passed it off as a bassist wanting some attention.

Then they decided to give the bassman some. In which he went on a 5 minute solo which blew my mind. Having sat directly in front of Victor Wooten and shaken his and after an incredible set, I had believed there could be no bass player who would ever impress me. This man in this tiny bar in Santiago came out with a funky slap jam at flamenco speed which was out of this world. I have never heard the bass played in such a fashion and I don't think I ever will again.

On a completely unrelated note, I met a bartender who looked exactly like Chris Genualdi from Richmond if he were from Chile and a bartender. Very scary.

4 comments:

  1. Great Blog Pat! Nice to hear you're hearing some good music. Sounds like things are going well. Remember... a picture is worth a thousand words !

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool...Did it encourage you to buy a guitar?mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice find! Did you get their name?

    My favorite bass player in Accra plays a funky 6 string bass... and sits at the bar next to the stage drinking a beer with his right hand and just tapping the strings with his left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, can you add a link to your RSS feed?

    ReplyDelete